Dr. Andrew Cohen, DMD is committed to helping patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Sleep Related Breathing Disorders using oral appliance therapy.
- B.S., Syracuse University
- D.M.D., Temple University
- General Practice Dental Residency Program, Abington Memorial Hospital
- Asked to join the Medical, Surgical, and Dental Staff at Abington Memorial Hospital as Dental Attending (teaching position)
- Clinical instructor at Temple University School of Dentistry 1999-2002
- Faculty position at Spear Education
- Contributing author for Spear Digest
- Content moderator for the online dental forum, “Spear Talk”
- Qualified Dentist Designation by the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Member of the Academy of General Dentistry, American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, and Philadelphia Dental Clinics Clubs
- Named Top Dentist by his peers in Philadelphia Magazine for 2012, 2014, 2016,2017 and 2018
Dr. Andrew Cohen provides treatment for patients with mild to moderate sleep apnea using an FDA approved, custom fitted oral appliance. The device works by positioning the lower jaw forward during sleep, keeping the airway open. It fits in the palm of your hand, requires no electricity, wires or tubes and is easily packed into luggage for travel.
How it works:
- Schedule a screening at our office
- If the screening indicates you are at risk for OSA, we will arrange a Home Sleep Test
- Sleep in your own bed while the device monitors your sleep
- Results from the test are downloaded and sent to a board-certified Sleep Physician for review and diagnosis
- If the physician recommends Oral Appliance Therapy, we will take impressions of your teeth and create a custom device for you
- After the device is made, it may require adjustments to ensure optimal airflow
- A follow up home sleep test is used to verify the device is working as intended
Our office has been DreamSleep Certified for treating Obstructive Sleep Apnea. DreamSleep is a national network of Dentists and Physicians working together to raise awareness and treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
DreamSleep Certification means every member of our sleep team has received intensive training on sleep medicine, oral appliance therapy and collaboration with physicians for testing and diagnosis.
- All DreamSleep providers:
- Are required to achieve accreditation in the fundamentals of dental sleep medicine and oral appliance therapy for sleep-related breathing disorders
- Refer patients at risk to qualified physicians for diagnosis and prescription of an appropriate therapy
- Use objective data to verify the efficacy of oral appliance therapy as permitted within their scope of practice and in accordance with their state dental practice acts
- Refer patients back to physicians for confirmation of treatment efficacy after fitting and titration of an oral appliance
- Provide timely, appropriate and ongoing follow-up care to manage dental-related side effects of oral appliance therapy
We believe that close teamwork with physicians is essential for successful management of sleep-related breathing disorders using oral appliance therapy.
Dr. Andrew Cohen, DMD
426 Cottman Street,
Jenkintown PA 19046