Sleep Apnea Solutions for the Transportation Industry
The danger is real.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and other sleep-related breathing disorders are a silent epidemic affecting an estimated 70 million Americans. 1 in 5 American adults have mild OSA and 1 in 15 have moderate to severe OSA1. As many of 75% of these patients are undiagnosed and possibly unaware of their condition2. Untreated OSA increases impact of comorbidities like heart disease and diabetes, reduces productivity and has significant impacts on safety:
- An estimated 30% of North American Truck Drivers have OSA3.
- An estimated 20% of all large truck crashes are due to drowsy or fatigued driving3
- Sleep apnea more than doubles the risk of having a traffic accident4
- Moderate to severe sleep apnea increases risk of car accident as much as 15X5
- As much at 9.5% of car crashes involve drowsy drivers6
- NTSB recently linked untreated OSA with 2 rail accidents in the Northeast7
- Workplace accidents involving undiagnosed OSA cost employers an estimated $6.5 billion in 20158
What you can do
- Educate on the signs, dangers and effects of OSA
- Institute Comprehensive screening and testing
- Offer a full range of treatment options: Oral Appliance Therapy, CPAP, Surgery, Weight loss
1. Young et al. J Am Med Assoc 2004
2. Young et al. Sleep 2008
3. Kales, Stefanos N., and Madeleine G. Straubel. 2014. “Obstructive Sleep Apnea in North American Commercial Drivers.” Industrial Health 52 (1): 13-24.doi:10.2486/indhealth.2013-0206.
4. Karimi M, Hedner J, Häbel H, Nerman O, Grote L. Sleep. 2015 Mar 1;38(3):341-9. doi: 10.5665/sleep.4486.
6. Horstmann et al. Sleep 2000
6. (2018). Prevalence of Drowsy Driving Crashes: Estimates from a Large-Scale Naturalistic Driving Study. AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
7. Nearly Identical Probable Causes for 2 Commuter Rail Accidents https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/MR20180206.aspx
8. Frost & Sullivan, “Hidden Health Crisis Costing America Billions”, Published by American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2016
How it works
- Home Sleep Testing
- HIPAA Compliant Portal for Medical Records
- Call Center to Facilitate Tele-Screening and Coordinate Testing
- Customized, Detailed Program Reporting
- Billing Capability
- Comprehensive Program
- Manage Treatment Across Process
- Physician to Dentist and back
- Medical Oversight to Maintain Highest Standard of Care
- Network of Dentists to Provide Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT)
- Network of Physicians to Manage Care
- Program Communication plan
- OAT for those that qualify
- CPAP for those that need it
- Increased productivity
- Decreased accidents, downtime and recovery time
- Can reduce insurance burden*
To learn more about our Athletic programs, or discuss a customized solution, contact DreamSleep today: